Which Brand HD sets are Good?
Questions gets asked all the time on which brand is good or better in choosing an
HD-capable set. This very question was asked recently and Michael TLV gave his opinion.
Just a few comments ... bear with me. (Regarding RPTVs)
- Hitachi ... nice units, but not too much tweaking knowledge out there and not considered
to be a major player.
- Mitsubishi ... A very nice set, but only after a significant amount of work inside the
TV's service menus and beyond.
- Panasonic ... Coming in from obscurity this year with a very nice product that is very
tweakable and an image that looks as good as any in the group.
- Pioneer ... Always a great image, but sometimes a bit on the high $$ side. Very friendly
service menu and very tweakable.
- Samsung ... Not a major player and too little information out there on image quality.
- Sony ... Very nice image and a very good price point this year. Great name recognition.
Easy to calibrate although limited in some ways.
- Toshiba ... They took a set backward this year in the image quality department. Still a
good price point for their TV's and the images are pleasing ... though slightly worse than
last year. unless you know what to look for, the image is still pleasing.
- Zenith ... good product, but very poor impression of quality by most ... eventhough that
is not true ... the impression is still there. Not a major player in the RPTV field.
With regard to Directview Tvs:
- Konka ... reliability issues
- Sampo ... reliability issues
- RCA ... reliability issues
Additional discussions about this also at the Keohi HDTV Forum.