<< Back to General Tweaks Page
Tip from Paul Hives: "Here's
a great tip for checking the focus of the guns:
- Swing the screen out on its hinge point at the top.
- Observe where the cross goes out of focus on each color.
- Then bring the screen back to center, and use a dry towel to push gently in and observe
the same thing, even though you obviously can't push in as much as the screen comes out.
- When you have got the cross so it stays absolutely in focus for half an inch in, and
half an inch out also, you are dead center.
- To adjust focus on the CRT's you must loosen the wingnuts on the lens assembly and
rotate them. To be careful I used a piece of masking tape and marked the original position
just in case. The most it should need moved is ¼" one way or the other."
Words of Caution:
"Beware of what you are touching. Unless you perceive that there is a problem with
the focus of the CRT's I wouldn't mess with it. If it looks focused I'd leave it alone.
There is a lot of voltage as you know running around in a TV chassis.
If you must do this I would recommend that two people do it. One to handle the screen
and one to mess with the guns."
Paul credits Mr Bob for this tip.